Serves 4 as a starter
- 8 ripe plum tomatoes at room temperature (never keep tomatoes in the fridge!) –if you prefer use cherry or vine tomatoes instead.
- A handful of freshly washed and dried basil leaves.
- 400g mozzarella, the best you can find or afford – buffalo or fior di latte
- 8 cloves of black garlic, peeled and sliced.
For the Salad Dressing
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 8 small cloves of peeled black garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp balsamic or sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- salt and pepper
- 100 ml olive oil
- 57 ml groundnut or rice bran or grapeseed oil
To make the Salad Dressing
- Using a blender or small processor, puree together the first 4 ingredients.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and slowly whisk in the oils, creating an emulsion. This can be done by hand if you prefer.
Keep in a jar, refrigerated and shake well to mix before using.
To make the Tricolore Salad
- Wash, dry and cut the tomatoes
- Slice the mozzarella
- Arrange attractively on a plate or platter and drizzle with Black Garlic Salad Dressing.
Serve with crusty bread.